Canadian Society of Hospital Medicine
14th Annual Conference for Hospital Medicine
September 15-18, 2016 Niagara Falls, Ontario
Submission Deadline is Friday, June 30, 2016
The 14th CSHM Annual Conference will include a scientific session, featuring Posters and Oral Presentations. We are pleased to invite all individuals and organizations involved in Hospital Medicine in Canada and internationally, to submit their projects and research activities for publication in the CSHM Annual Conference Proceedings. Abstracts will be chosen by a panel of experts from the CSHM Research Committee on the basis of originality and scientific merit.
We invite submissions in:
- Quality Improvement and Patient Safety
- Innovations in designing hospital medical programs specifically, and inpatient care programs more broadly. Submissions could highlight projects to improve system efficiency (such as reducing length of stay), hospitalist involvement in teaching and educational activities, post-acute clinics, and projects that address care transitions.
- Clinical research targeting medical inpatients in a non-ICU setting
- Case Reports
Submissions should highlight the work of hospitalists, other inpatient care physicians, and healthcare practitioners involved in the care of hospitalized patients. A select number of submitted abstracts will be considered for oral presentation at the Quality Improvement (QI) Pre-conference workshop on Thursday, September 15, 2016.
Abstracts must present a clear, concise summary of the work. Do not include introductions, historical data, literature reviews, or bibliographies We suggest the following format for submissions, but realize that some submissions may be primarily descriptive and not all subheadings may be relevant:
a) Background (for QI submissions, specify a clear project aim): What is the QI problem of interest (preferably one sentence)?
b) Aim: What is the aim of the QI project?
c) Methods: Including Improvement/Innovation a clear description of project interventions or any innovations implemented: What changes were implemented as part of the QI project?
d) Result and Measures: How do you know if your QI project led to an improvement?
e) Conclusions and implications for future research/ projects. When describing a QI or re-design project, specify the actual and anticipated impact of the changes implemented. Project Impact: Did your changes result in an improvement?
f) Lessons Learned: What were the implications and lessons learned?
Submission Process (please read carefully!)
Abstracts will be chosen by a panel of experts from the CSHM Research Committee on basis of originality, relevance, and scientific merit. Preference will be given to studies that advance knowledge of Hospital Medicine programs in Canadian healthcare settings and their effectiveness in improving quality and resource utilization.
- Submissions that are selected will be printed as abstracts in the Annual Conference Proceedings as a supplement in electronic format and will be posted on the CSHM Website.
- Select submissions will be considered for oral presentation during the QI Pre-‐conference course on Thursday, September 15, 2016.
- All selected submissions will be displayed as posters during the main conference on Friday, September 16, and Saturday, September 17, 2016.
- Posters should be NO larger than 114.3 cm (3 ft. 9”) high and 236.2 cm (7 ft. 9”) wide.
- Abstracts must be submitted in a single Microsoft Word document, no more than 1500 words (excluding contact information and graphs).
- The Word document must include all charts and graphs, and must conform to format described in previous sections.
- Include all of the authors' names.
- Underline the name of the author who will present the Abstract. Include the name and e-‐mail address for the key contact person, along with his/her mailing address, phone and FAX numbers.
- Please indicate clearly in submission if you would like your submission to be considered for Oral Presentation during the QI Pre-conference course onThursday, September 15, 2016.
- E-mail Word document as an attachment to:firstname.lastname@example.org. Include words “Abstract Submission to CSHM 2016” in subject line. Members may submit online.
Authors will be informed of selection decisions in early August 2016. All authors are required to disclose any relationships with pharmaceutical companies, bio-medical device manufacturers, or other organizations that could represent potential conflicts in their submission.
Presenter Fees and Responsibilities
- Presenting authors for selected submissions must register for the CSHM 2016 Annual Conference. They will be responsible for their travel expenses and accommodations.
- Presenters will be directed to the Poster Presentation area in the morning ofFriday, September 16, 2016.
- Authors should ensure Posters are displayed by 8:00 am, Friday morning, and be present by their Posters during breaks to answer any questions. Posters should be taken down no later than 6:00 pm on Saturday, September 17, 2016.
Submission deadline is Friday, June 30, 2016