You are here
Hospitalist - Fredericton, New Brunswick
Salaried Hospitalist Physician – Fredericton, New Brunswick
Horizon Health Network seeks a salaried full-time hospitalist physician for the Dr. Everett Chalmers Regional Hospital in Fredericton, New Brunswick. The successful candidate will share equitable evening and weekend call responsibilities with the team of hospitalist physicians. Experience in hospital based medicine would be an asset. CFPC certification preferred.
The physician will provide medical care to hospitalized patients in a multidisciplinary health care environment. Efficient plan of care optimizing admission orders, treatment and investigative modalities, and timely discharge planning are essential. Effective documentation, communication with the patient, the patient’s family, and the patient’s family physician during the hospital stay and at the time of discharge is essential.
Horizon Health Network, www.horizonnb.ca, is the largest health-care organization in Atlantic Canada, operating 12 hospitals and more than 100 medical facilities, clinics and offices providing medical services ranging from acute care to community based health services to New Brunswick, northern Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. With 1,000 physicians, an annual budget exceeding $1 billion and approximately 13,000 employees, Horizon Health Network’s strategic vision focuses on research, innovation and education.
HOURS OF WORK
Weekdays as well as weekend, holiday or after hours responsibilities
- Comprehensive medical care of hospitalized patients, who have no local family physician or whose family physician does not have privileges at DECRH, to include discharge patient instructions and efficient completion of dictated discharge summaries to facilitate continuity of care with primary care physicians. Total number of patients under one hospitalist’s care: 17-20 patients.
- Optimize efficient utilization of health care resources.
- Organization of daily rounds to optimize care of acutely ill patients and timely patient discharge.
- Assist as required with any in-hospital medical emergencies when on site as part of the code team.
- Accept admissions on an as-needed basis where there is no receiving family physician with privileges.
- Participate in a rotating call schedule with other hospitalists to include an equitable share of weekends, statutory holidays and evening call responsibilities.
- Participate in the use of departmental and corporate evidence-based rules of practice to ensure that expected standards of care are achieved.
- Participate in medical practice that is compatible with the Health Authority’s mission, values and strategic directions.
- In the interest of promoting public health, participate in the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of treatment, education, counseling and health promotion programs and services for individuals, families and the community.
Note: These responsibilities are the basic and prime duties associated with this position; other related and allied duties may be assigned from time to time as may be necessary to the operation of Horizon Health
- Comply and keep up to date with CFPC CME annual requirements
- Comply with the policies and procedures of the Department of Family Practice and the Hospitalist program.
- Comply with the provisions of the Hospital Act, the Regional Health Authorities Act, the Medical Services Payment Act, and their regulations.
- Comply with the Health Authority bylaws, rules and regulations, and policies and procedures.
- Follow the Code of Ethics of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
Remuneration based on provincial Medical Pay Plan.
Moving Expense Allowance
EXPECTED START DATE:
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY:
Fredericton, New Brunswick’s capital is an energetic city having much to offer individuals as well as families. Being an officially bilingual province, Fredericton has a vibrant francophone population. Le Centre communautaire Sainte-Anne houses schooling from daycare to high school, various sporting activities, weekly francophone movies, happy hours with local francophone entertainment and a Health Centre making Fredericton a wonderful location to live. The city also offers many recreational activities such as enjoying water sports on the majestic St. John River, playing a round of golf on one of the 7 golf courses, walking, running or biking on various trails, playing tennis in our indoor or outdoor courts, skiing and snowboarding at Crabbe Mountain, joining an ultimate Frisbee team, to visiting the beautiful Art Galleries including the world renown Beaverbrook Art Gallery, taking in live theatre at the Playhouse, being entertained by numerous festivals such as the Annual Music Festival and the Harvest Jazz and Blues Festival, Frostival in the winter months, a free outdoor skating rink in the heart of the city, Fredericton’s famous Boyce Farmer’s Market, Science East where children and children at heart are taught the basics of science in a fun and entertaining setting, Fredericton captures it all.
- Must hold a valid license to practice medicine in the Province of New Brunswick
- Must be a member in good standing with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
- Must have current malpractice insurance from the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) appropriate to the category of practice.
- ACLS preferred.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and team-building skills.
- Good attendance and work record.
- Physically able to perform assigned duties.
** Horizon Health Network adheres to all privacy legislation and policies to ensure confidential patient, business, financial and employee information is disclosed only to those authorized to receive it for the purpose of fulfilling their job duties. **.